is there herb or natural thing to feed Baby Girl Barr rock to keep her from chasing pecking 2 BR g

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladyearth, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Is there an herb or other natural grain etc to give my only" Baby Girl", a natural calmer downer" mellow out" herb or supplement????/ ( the rest of original straight runs were roos). ? something to make her less aggresive???? Gave The two Roos to other homes. kept the runt( Piggy )Roo.. Baby Girl is 5 months old. My two kennels together are 10 by 20 feet....for their "run"
    Introduced 2 new pullets Barr Rocks last Saturday. I believe they are 2 to 3 months old.... Put whole little TSC hen house in the kennel to introduce the two new girls to Baby Girl and Roo.
    she chases and pecks at them constantly, well not constantly but lots... I block her as much as possible and even locked her in the little TSC hen house, even water gun her a little..... the two pullets spend most of their time in the little hen house OR up the ladder to the "coop"
    so only real peace the new girls get is when the Bigger birds free range for an hour or so before bedtime. Or when Bossy baby girl stays in the liitle TSC hen house.... she even has a fit when I feed them etc,,,, even though she has more feed etc....
    It has been 6 days now.... not lots of improvement... A new 100 by 100 feet area soon will be finished fencing..... so all can have more room daytime use only
    Please suggestions HELP
    thanks all

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Baby Girl is acting in a normal fashion. Usually it works best to wait and introduce existing hens and pullets when they are about the same size. Or you could wait until your new area is ready and then introduce them in the new neutral area. Best of luck to you!

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    it is too late. have two seperate coops and runs. not going to make a third. the first is supposedly 2 year old Buffs and their Roo.
    the second one was a straight run born, suppoedly March 14th,... I bought them on MARCH 19TH...

I kept them in the little TSC hen house inside the BARR ROCKS run so they could see each other...for 2 days. then let them out into the run for hort spells.... So it will be a whole week tomorrow that I picked up Newbie girls.......
    both areas are fairly secured
    More input yall?????

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Side by side, but separate, containment for introductions should go on for a couple of weeks.... not just a couple of days.

Here's some tips for integrations:

Integration of new chickens to flock.

Consider medical quarantine.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact. Integrating new birds of equal size works best.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places to hide out of line of sight and/or up and away from bully birds.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by