Is there money to be made in goat farming??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mugen, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mugen

Mugen Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009

I have couple of goats. I'm looking to expand the operations because there's a Mexican/ethnic demand that I can't meet here. They are constantly looking for goats to buy. We have a handful of goat farms here, but they are not selling their goats. I think they don't want to fool around with the ethnic folks and just sell the goats at the sell barn. What is your opinion on goat farming?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you have the finances and demand to keep your herd going, I say go for it. I know the Mexicans love goat meat and its delicious for tacos and some specialities. Wished they have some around here besides beef, pork and shrimp dishes.
  3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    As long as you time your kiddings around the ethnic holidays, there is money to be made. I don't have meat goats myself but so many people seem to be making pretty good money on it.
  4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

My son in law worked around the northern part of Illinois and told me he could take a truckload of goats up there every week-end and make a killing for the ethnic groups. We have people around here who have goat bbq's too . . . so its not just certain groups, its all about what you like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by