1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there more money in selling eggs or selling rare breeds of chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jesus freak, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    In your opinion do you think money wise it would be better to raise chickens and sell there eggs or raising rare breeds and selling there chicks?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I see some truth but I think it all boils down what kind of chickens you have and where they came from. If they come from a well known breeder, you have a much better success in selling eggs and chicks.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The only problem with selling chicks is that you will have to mail them. If you are prepared to replace all the chicks that the post office kills, then I suspect you could sell more chicks than hatching eggs.

Mailing live chicks is not difficult.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    If you ever want to know what makes you the most money in the poultry business, model off of hatcheries. They've done all the research and number crunching you could ever dream of.

To that end, notice that very few hatcheries bother with selling hatching eggs. It's very risky as you cannot guarentee hatchability and viability after the post office and customer is done doing damage to the eggs. And of course, all the blame will fall on you. It's a problem that many breeders constantly face. So hatcheries skip all that fuss, and focus on live chicks, which do much better in the mail (also you broaden your customer base to people who don't have the time/resources to incubate eggs.)

Additionally, notice that hatcheries do NOT sell high quality birds. Too much time and effort on a breeding program, and it results in too many culls to turn a profit. Their focus is on volume, not quality. Breeders do what they do out of love and devotion to the breed, not generally for money. Most of them take a significant monetary loss for their hobby.

Hope that helps you answer your question. In the end, its a personal choice.

5. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    I say do both! That is what im gonna do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by