Is there someone to buy fertile eggs for hatching that ship to Canada?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We'd like to introduce a few new colour lines into our silkies and my daughters really want to hatch them out, I'm thinking we're going to buy a Brinsea Advance, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that will ship the eggs to Canada? I would like to avoid any costly paper work, or even driving over the border to pick them up, I'm not sure this is even a possibility or if maybe there's a hatchery in Canada that I can't find on Google? I figure you guys know everything [​IMG]

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Where in Canada are you? My husband and I are headed to Harrison Hot Springs, but not till about late June. I could posisbly deliver some of our eggs to you, but they aren't silkies. (we have smooth hens and a frizzle rooster). If our one sinlkie baby (black) is a hen, we might possibly have silkie frizzle X eggs by then though.

I'm not sure what mailing restrictions are but if you want me to mail some frizzle smooth x's let me know!

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You can't ship to Canada. You can follow the laws and bring some in legally with all the paperwork AND you can also bring back from a visit to the States 2 dozen "eating" eggs.

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Looks like driving them across is ok? mailing would require lots of paperwork. I can't imagine there's not people in Canada with hatching eggs available to you? ?

5. TheHalfWayCoop

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    There are people on Kijiji sometimes, but usually a few hours away poultry doesn't seem to have nearly as many awesome options for buying in Canada as it does in the US.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I know how you feel! There aren't any decent hatcheries that ship in Canada. Not at this time of year for sure. I found the best bet was to look out for poultry shows in your area. I am in New Brunswick, and if I had eggs from my silkies now, I would ship to you [​IMG]

When they do start, I could possibly do this. I've heard that shipping eggs makes them less viable though. [​IMG]

7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Eggs ARE mailable to Canada:138.3 Eggs
    138.31 Restrictions
    Eggs may be sent only by Priority Mail International. See 550 for nonpostal regulations on dried whole eggs.

138.32 Packaging
    Eggs must be packaged in the following manner:

Eggs mailed to any country except Canada must be placed in a metal egg container. Each egg must be packed in cushioning material. The metal egg container must be enclosed in an outer container of wood with cushioning packed between the two containers.
    Eggs mailed to Canada may be packed either as prescribed in 138.32a or in a box of rigid material with a tight–fitting lid. Each egg must be wrapped in protective material and placed on end. Vacant spaces in the box must be filled with packing material to prevent the eggs from striking each other or the box.

8. TheHalfWayCoop

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Quote:Thank you Lollipop! There is this hatchery at the Performance Poultry that sell actual birds. It's just the fertile eggs that I'm having a hard time finding. I think PP was right, best off going to sales and shows and finding them there!

Thanks everyone!

9. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    funny that you can take eggs into canada, but don't try to bring them out.

I was searched and my eggs impounded at the border, on the US side, one time when we returned from fishing in canada. we were asked what we brought back and told the lady "left over grocries and some fish that we caught" she handed me a list of contraband and eggs were on the list. I said we have some eggs and she sent us ove r to be searched and the eggs were confiscated.

I did not ask why,

cheers,
    Jerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by