1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there something else to do besides a saddle?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redwa, Nov 17, 2008.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    I have an overmated chicken, getting her a saddle. Just wondering if there is a way to deter the rooster from mating her so much. Thought of putting something on her back that might offend him. Any suggestions?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Roosters can be delicious.

3. redwa

Aug 9, 2007
    hmmmm, can't do that. My kids would never forgive me. Will he eventually find another focus of his affections? He really is doing a number on her, she has stopped laying now because I think she is so stressed out from being chased by him all the time.

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Make him a pen of his own and only allow him to VISIT the hen.

5. redwa

Aug 9, 2007
    I really don't want to have to separate them, permanently or get rid of him. He is a gentleman in all other ways and the hens seem to be happy having him around. If this doesn't get any better, maybe I can replace him with another one...

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    put something on her back to offend him and he'd probably end up killing her trying to kill it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by