1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is there something in incubating that determines you get more roos?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HeatherLynn, Aug 24, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok just curious, is there anything that is done that ups the chances of more roos to hens? I had heard something about low temps. Just curious

2. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Simply put..... No...... Sorry.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Nope, that only works in certain types of reptiles. Birds have ZW chromosomes (similar to our XY), and that's what determines the sex.

4. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    seems to me higher temp causes more roos. Mine hatched 2 days early, which suggests high temp. I got 11 out of 12 roos. One single hen. I turned down the temp a little on the last hatch 6 wks ago, hatched on time. I gave 3 away and kept 4 chicks. So far looks like 2 pullets and 2 roos of the 4 I have, but too early for sure.

5. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Incubating reptile eggs for a specific sex can be done using temp manipulation....doesn't work with chickens. If it happened, it was coincidence.

6. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chirping

Jun 2, 2010
    This is funny because some students of mine (and their mothers) told me that they learned in 4H that the temp controlled what sex you got... I didn't buy it, but thought maybe it is an idea that hatcheries sell because they don't want people to know what they do with all the roos...

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane 8 Years

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Chickenfarmer... guarantee it wasn't the temp... Gender for chickens is determined the same way as in humans (mostly). It's predetermined pretty much at conception and has nothing to do with temp and everything to do with chromosomes.

Sorry OP, nothing you can do but hope your hens throw lots of daughters!

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It's an old wives tale, gender is determined at conception same as most other animals. Think about this if it were true the entire industry would have changed years ago.

AL

9. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Well thats a relief. I read about it and was like dang it i am having a hard enough time keeping it steady between 99 and 100. If I have to get more specific than that or I'll get all roos I could lose my mind. Ok so I get what I get and I just gotta keep it steady. No pressure. cool beans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: