Is there something wrong with her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fricasee, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Fricasee

Fricasee Songster

Jun 6, 2014
    Durango, Colorado
    CD993369-F5D1-4E45-9C97-9D5CA5DB5744.jpeg I just brought this poor little hen home last night. She looks pathetic and I assume she is molting. I just noticed this morning that the right side of her neck is bulging. Is this normal or do I need to get her to the vet? Or is there something I should do? Aside from that it’s chilly here at night and in the mornings and I can see she’s shivering. Should I try to put a little t shirt on her?
    Thanks

2. Christii

Christii Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    SD
    I can't see really well, but a bulge in their neck is usually just their food, unless it is hard.

3. Christii

Christii Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    SD
  4. Christii

Christii Chirping

Oct 1, 2017
    SD
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Yes, the bulge is just her crop.

I'm not 100% sure that is JUST molting. The skin looks red to me. Any chance she got lice, mites, or depluming mites (microscopic)? Maybe she was bullied at her other place? Consider using Permethrin if you need to treat for mites/lice. It's safe, affordable, effective, and no withdrawal for eggs though I doubt she is giving any up.

Though it is possible it's just a hard molt. :confused: I would supplement her with some high protein snacks like meal worms, tuna, mackerel. Feathers are 90% protein and the amino acids in it.

Yes, I would TOTALLY put a sweater of some sort on her if I saw her shivering. You wouldn't be the only one. Maybe try searching chicken sweaters or something.

Good luck, hope she pulls out of it fast. :fl

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Crowing Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I agree with @EggSighted4Life that is likely not just molting. I would do what she suggests to get rid of pests and such. Also, check her crop (feel it) at night it should be full, morning (prior to eating) it should be empty. I would put a small t-shirt on her (cut slits for her wings. keep her separate from the others till you figure out what she has if anything. did other chickens at her old place look like her?

7. Fricasee

Fricasee Songster

Jun 6, 2014
    Durango, Colorado
    She is the only one that looked like this. I felt so bad for her and it’s why I picked her. I did try a T-shirt today and she pulled her wing back through and I thought she would get hurt so I took it off. I felt her crop when I had her and it felt firm but not hard. This picture I posted is of her this morning. So she had not eaten.
    Unfortunately she’s already been around the others. My inexperience to blame there. Should I still separate her or is it too late?

8. Fricasee

Fricasee Songster

Jun 6, 2014
    Durango, Colorado
    The guy I got her from had about 50 chickens he was changing over. They were in an enclosure. It wasn’t big but I wouldn’t say they were crowded. She seemed to be drinking a lot of water today and I also saw her eating grass. There was no grass in their enclosure at the previous place. The other two birds I got yesterday look much better than her. The Easter egger has some patches from the rooster but that’s it. The little black hen has no rooster spots but I think she’s missing some tail feathers.

9. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

Her skin looks quite pink/red to me, too. Is she eating regular feed?

10. Fricasee

Fricasee Songster

Jun 6, 2014
    Durango, Colorado
    He told me he was feeding a high quality food. I’ve been feeding mine Layena. I also give mine greens and yogurt and fruit and mealworms. I’ve obly had her for 24 hours. The other two I got from him look fine, not like her. I just want to help her.
    If she has mites or lice would all of his chickens looked like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: