Is there something wrong with my cayuga?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nursesammy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    My cayuga is 21 wks now. Not laying. Shes always been friendly an will get close but she just suddenly started letting me pet her. All over! She would not let anyone pet her before. I love it dont get me wrong. But is there something wrong with her?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    check her over and make sure she doesn't have any type of injury's. Can you approach her at anytime and do this? has she been acting the same the rest of the time or has she been kinda of dormant and hasn't moved around a lot? another thing she could just be totally attached to you since there is no other ducks to hang with.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Id say she seems to act fairly normal. I mean she gets around great still. Still very talkative But alittle quieter. She just seems more mellow. I can approach about any time and she'll let me. She doesnt appear to have any injuries.

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I really don't know what to tell you at the moment. If one of my ducks did that i would be worried, but again i never handle them and they all group together and keep themselves company and pretty much ignore me. so i would just keep a super close eye on her and make sure she isn't ill. Otherwise I'm going to guess this might just be that since (Im assuming your raised her from a duckling) you raised her that she trusts you enough to let you pet her. Maybe someone else will chime in and giver there opinion.

5. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    I did raise her from a duckling and she is the only duck we have now. She bonded with a chicken that she was raised with [i bought both together] but thats all. That would be great if she was bonded wiht me. She so pretty and such a sweetie anyway.

6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Since you don't see any injuries I would guess she is lonely for other (waterfowl) companionship. Ducks really need other like fowl to be with. Can you get another duck for her?

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep, if no injuries, or sickly, shes just bonded to you in place of other ducks. I have had certain ones over they years that would follow me every where, wild and domestic species. She's just imprinted on you sounds like....

8. nursesammy

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    I would love to get another cayuga. Ive been watching CL for a while now hoping to find one. Or even another duck around her size. Ive had no luck [​IMG]

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    That would be nice around here. (wild fowl imprinting)

No more buzzing through the air frantically away from me.

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yep, it take a little more time with them, and not many will do it. Had a smew drake that followed me like a little puppy. when I come to feed up, reguardless of where he was in the 10000 sqft aviary I had him in, once he saw me, he'd come flying his little butt off to me and follow me every where I went, and right back to the gate when I'd leave. Made you hate to leave him out there.
    Only problem with ones like that, is often times the focus so much on you, they wont pair up and breed...which stinks with a species like a smew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by