Is there something wrong with my duck's wings? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aleciasayshii, May 18, 2009.

1. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this angel wing?
    He's only 9 weeks old, is this normal?
    They just stick out obnoxiously and dont lay against his body, even though I would like to think that they should.
    [​IMG]

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Looks like angel wing

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Keep an eye on it. Sometimes the extra weight of growing wing feathers can make them look a little awkward until they grow in all the way.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

He/she is getting new wing feathers. Sometimes it makes them very heavy. See the blue straw looking stuff around the feather. That is very heavy. Just watch him and make sure he is not getting sick. I think he is just getting weight he is not used to carrying around.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks never looked like that with new growth. It could be Angel wing. Up the amount of greens he gets.

6. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    He pretty much refuses to eat anything green, any suggestions?

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Not even thawed out frozen peas? My ducks will knock you down and steal your wallet to go out and get more peas [​IMG]

Other things you could try...

Thawed out frozen french cut green beans
    Fine chopped lettuce
    bok choy
    chopped dandelion leaves
    grass clippings

Oh! And try floating these things on water. There are things my ducks wont eat from a bowl that they will eat floated on water.

Also, no bread, pretzels, crackers, cereal, etc... Ducks in public parks fed these food are well known for getting angel wing.

Will your duck eat worms? You could go to a bait shop and get him a bucket of worms.

8. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Looks like Angel wing to me too. I have two Muscovey drakes with Angel Wing. It doesn't "hurt" them. They just cannot fly, but your duck may be one that doesn't fly anyway. The Muscovies can normally fly, but not with Angel wing. It may not look as "pretty" as a duck with normal wings, but love him anyway.

Also, like the others said, increase the greens if you can. My ducks love, love, love mixed frozen vegetables. I thaw them in the microwave, let them cool and give them those. They think it's the best treat in the world. It contains corn, peas, string beans, lima beans and carrots. They all love them, and it's a quick and easy snack for them. Also, like someone else said, just try peas only, or some of the other stuff listed, and put them in the water. My duckies will "dive" to the bottom of their kiddie pool to get the veggies that fall in the water. It's funny watching them.

Good luck with your baby.

Kathy

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I teach my baby ducks how to pea dive [​IMG]

10. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Angel wing--I have heard that you can bind the wings flush up against the body for a coupld weeks(just wrap it with medical tape) and this can fix the angel wing. I have a drake who has this and I caught it too late. He gets around just fine--just looks a bit strange. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by