Is there something wrong with my runner?

Tominski

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2016
Colchester, England

Hi everyone,
I am starting to worry that something is wrong with little Indie (2-3 weeks old). She can stand and walk/run (very fast) but lately she has started sitting like in the photo. The last couple of days she seems to only stand for short times (10-15 seconds). She doesn't seem to be in any pain when being handled, but does constantly let out little squeeks when sitting there. Also the other ducklings do seem to peck at her and she is reluctant to move when they do.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am i just being an overly worried parent?

Thanks for any ideas,
Tom

I am not an expert but i would add brewers yeast to their food. Ducks need niacin and if they lack it i have seen on here they can develop leg problems. i put 1 tablespoon every time i fill their food bowl up. also try finding other threads on here you can find some good info.....Hope that help keep us updated thanks

She def needs some Brewers yeast 1 TAB to 1 cup of feed. make sure it's nutritional yeast not for making beer or alcohol.. Most natural food stores carry it.

Let us know how she is after 3-5 days on it..
Welcome to BYC @Tominski

Last edited:

Hi everyone,
I am starting to worry that something is wrong with little Indie (2-3 weeks old). She can stand and walk/run (very fast) but lately she has started sitting like in the photo. The last couple of days she seems to only stand for short times (10-15 seconds). She doesn't seem to be in any pain when being handled, but does constantly let out little squeeks when sitting there. Also the other ducklings do seem to peck at her and she is reluctant to move when they do.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am i just being an overly worried parent?

Thanks for any ideas,
Tom

Mine is doing the same thing once a day he just will sit for like 5 seconds and then pop back up. His feet are larger then they need to be which that's what I thought it was but now maybe not.

She def needs some Brewers yeast 1 TAB to 1 cup of feed. make sure it's nutritional yeast not for making beer or alcohol.. Most natural food stores carry it.

Let us know how she is after 3-5 days on it..
Welcome to BYC @Tominski

Thanks Miss Lydia!

Do you think this will be ok?

http://www.rightasrein.co.uk/brewers-yeast-equine-digestion-aid

I have ordered it, as some threads on here say to avoid certain tablets (got a bit confusing) so thought i would get an animal specific one.

Mine is doing the same thing once a day he just will sit for like 5 seconds and then pop back up. His feet are larger then they need to be which that's what I thought it was but now maybe not.

A couple of mine sit like that every now and then, but Indie was doing it all the time. The more i look at her the more she appears to be limping. Hopefully a bit of brewers yeast will do the trick.

They grow fast, including their legs. Every now and then, they just need to sit down for a quick break.
Add niacin if you aren't already. As long as they aren't doing it all the time, it isn't an issue.

They grow fast, including their legs. Every now and then, they just need to sit down for a quick break.
Add niacin if you aren't already. As long as they aren't doing it all the time, it isn't an issue.

Do you think adding niacin is okay to their food he's with another duckling, I only brought it up because he's the only that does that and he lays down a lot, just wondering around and then he just lays down, is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom