Is there something wrong with these chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ben is a terror, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    These bantam polish chicks are about 3 weeks old. I'm worried because they are so small. They don't seem to be growing.They are getting feathers and they eat and drink.Are they supposed to be this tiny? They seem to just lay under the heat light, they don't walk around much I have them separated from everyone else Any thoughts?
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They look normal for bantam chicks to me. Keep in mind that bantam chickens are mini chickens - they don't get as big as large fowl chickens.

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Eating and drinking are very good signs.
    greenfamilyfarms is correct about bantams being alot smaller than average chicks. Who is "everyone else"? Do you have all banties, or do you have some standard size chicks too?
    If they are not as energetic as the rest of your chicks, then it is good you separated them. They might be cold if all they do is sit under the heat lamp.
    What are you feeding them? Do they ever run around? Chicks tend to sleep alot, but it is usually in short periods followed by short bursts of spastic energy.
    I guess I need more info to try to give a good answer.

4. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I have 10 day old peeps of which 5 are Polish, and even as standards, they're slightly smaller than my EE's and BR's. They're also the only ones that had a problem with pasty butt.

However, they're very active and most vocal when disturbed; each seems to like differing heat and they range the brooder like they own it. If yours seem to stay under the lamp all the time, only suggestion I can offer is to also try giving them warm water (90*) as opposed to room temp so the water doesn't cool their little bodies down.

Good Luck!

5. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    The others were bantams I keep my standards and bantams separate. I'm feeding them chick starter. the heat lamp is only 9 inches from them. I am afraid to bake them. The only time they run around is when I put my hand in then they act like I'm going to kill them. Their box is 12" long 9" wide and 9" high and has pine shavings in it. I hope that helps. I'm so afraid of losing them. I've had bantam chicks before but I never remember the being this tiny. I know worried mom thing.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    That is an awfully small brooder to have them in. And what is the temperature inside there? At 3 weeks, they should be at 85 degrees at the warmest spot, off to one side. And they should have an area that they can get away from the light if they are too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by