Is there somewhere I can find an average age for laying by breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by confusedturtle, Jul 28, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Im not really expecting mine to lay any time soon, my RSL's & BO mix are only 12 weeks old and although the BO mix has redder comb & waddles they are very young and dont show any signs of laying soon. I do check every morning just incase (dont want any egg eating to start) but sometimes I will have my coffee before going out. I was just wondering what the average age is for laying for my Red sex links, golden sex link, black sex link & a BO/Wyandotte mix? Im sure this info is somewhere I just haven't stumbled on it. Many things will have a large blinking neon sign above them and I will find them just after asking where it was...so I appologize if I have asked a question that has been answered 1000 times LoL!
    I wasn't thinking Id find any eggs from my girls for a few more months, but I just read that a few have found eggs from RSL's as early as 14 weeks?

**edited to add** Please dont think I am getting impatient or anything like that. I dont really expect to start seeing eggs from my girls until sometime in September, but if there is a chance they will start laying sooner I need to be more diligent about getting out there and checking more often. I thought I read that a chicken will usually lay around a cetain time of day and once you figure out your hens routine you will have a better idea of when to look for one. I was surprised to see posts saying 14 weeks, and that got me wondering if I need to check more often [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    I think you have a long way off if your girls are only 12 weeks. I think closer to 20 is more usual. I can`t speak to the average age of any particular breed however. One of ours was 18 and the rest 20weeks when they started laying - we have BRs

I also don`t think that you should worry too much about egg eating right away that you are out there checking all the time at this stage. I haven`t had any problems with egg eating and we often have to wait all day before collecting eggs. First off, we work during the week and can only check early on weekends. Also, ours prefer the one box and will crowd in there to use it, which means there seems to be someone in that box all morning - therefore we can`t collect until they have all finished for the day (or we would be bothering someone). Egg eating is a problem for some, but it isn`t a problem for everyone. In fact, we have a hen who lays soft shelled eggs about weekly from the roost so that there is a broken egg in the coop regularly and they completely ignore it.

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I told hubby it would be more like 20-24 weeks that we should start getting eggs. I haven't expected to find any but I do look just incase. I dont want to not check and then find baby chicks running around (we have a roo) and I was concerned about the egg eating. Glad to know that is not a common issue [​IMG] Maybe I was mistaken when I read that someone had found eggs at 14 weeks, it surprised me to think it could possibly be so much sooner than I had thought. Their nest box is in place but i want to tweak it a bit and make it more private for them before they start laying. I have seen other nest boxes on here and Im afraid mine wont like my nest box and will lay outside of it. Im really not ready for them to start laying. I thought I was going to need to hustle and get the new nest boxes ready now, I was hoping to put off building it til the kids go back to school [​IMG] Nice to know I can take my time and do it when the kids are back in school [​IMG] Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by