Is There Still Hope???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by actjac55, Jan 27, 2012.

1. actjac55

actjac55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    North Texas
    So I went into "lock down" last night around 9pm. I removed the turner, added some water, and got the humidity up. To my dismay at 6am this morning I found that my incubator had lost power. I had it plugged up in a bathroom to one of the plugs that can trip. Well it tripped. Temperature was at 80 and humidity was still at 70. Anybody had this problem and still had a successful hatch?

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    You are probably still okay. You might have a late hatch, though. Don't get too concerned if they don't hatch on time. I've had power outages before and my hatch went just fine. :)

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is not good or something you should plan on doing, but don't come anywhere close to a panic. I doubt if you are in serious trouble. You were measuring air temperature. The temperature inside that egg was a lot warmer. They are dense so it takes a lot longer for them to lose heat. There is something alive in there, generating its own heat. Those eggs are a lot tougher than many people realize.

Keep going as normal. It depends on when that tripped and you lost power and how much the eggs inside actually cooled off, but you will probably be OK. I sure would not give up.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I had an incubator die on a really cold night and did not realize until the next day. The temp was down to 80* and the eggs were in lockdown! I still ended up with half of the eggs hatching [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. actjac55

Jan 4, 2010
    North Texas
    Thanks for the replys. I had the temp. back up in less than an hour from the time I found it. So I will just hope for the best.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I agree that you'll be okay. Big temperature issues like that can be fatal during the first 15 days; however, the last 3, not nearly as much so. I'm sure you'll be just fine!

7. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    I just had a similar thing happen with my hatch. The incubator was unplugged for at least 12 hours and the air temp read 64F when plugged back in. It delayed the hatch for a day but everything turned out as usual.

8. actjac55

Jan 4, 2010
    North Texas
    Everything turned out great. So far 7 of 9 have hatched. The last 2 have pipped and should be out by morning if all goes well. The eggs actually hatched earlier than I expected.

9. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    My power was out for 5 days in the middle of an incubation. My babies ere like 6 days late but still hatched great! Have faith!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by