Is there still room in the EGG Industry to get involved?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yanks26, Apr 19, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I want to start an egg production business and eventually (hopefully) expand and get larger. My only question is: Is there still room to get in with the big guys?

I can easily sell locally to restaurants and grocery stores because I know them very well but is it possible to get bigger than that?

There is always the need for eggs right? And more is needed as the population grows.

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I think that without getting involved in the whole nasty battery cage type thing that you would not be able to compete with the big industries... it is a shame really. I do think that people would prefer better eggs and all but most really don't know anything but the commercially produced kinds. Good luck though, maybe you can make a positive change in the egg industry?

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well I know proposition 2 is going to possibly change all of California's poultry farms. They say within 3 years cages will not longer be allowed in California.

http://www.wattpoultry.com/PoultryInternational/Article.aspx?id=30395

That article explains it. Hopefully all productions will be forced to go without cages and will thusly allow newcomers like me to enter the industry. All with a bit of luck [​IMG] .

Globally, cages are being reduced and more and more countries are buckling down on it. Let's pray cages are illegal soon and that will open up more job opportunities for newbies. Industries are no fun when there's no room for new generations to join [​IMG] .

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So if cages aren't allowed in California that means AZ, NV and OR will be great places to set up egg businesses, right?

5. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Farmer's Markets, local health food stores, and other alternative food outlets are good places to start. Folks here pay more for "good" eggs.

6. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yes, but the point of the article states that eventually most areas, if not all, in the United States will be banning cages. So even if 3 years from now cages are out-ruled in California, AZ, NV, and OR will not be safe places for cages either.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch.

What happens in Cali in the next 3 years may or may not impact other states but hedging a bet to start a buisness like egg production is a huge prediction with a giant false sense of security.

To sell eggs other than a small onsite farm egg business, meaning to sell them to businesses and other consumer outlets you need to check with your state department of agriculture.

You may be required to close your flocks, have testing done beyond NPIP and need other USDA requisites met, not to mention liability insurance, egg inspections, health department inspections, etc.

8. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Quote:I am a freight broker and my biggest customer is a big CA egg producer. You would not believe the amount of egg loads we haul from OH,IN,IA,MO to CA,AZ and OR. This week we have a load stopping in NV to drop eggs from IA off. The egg loads have slowed down due to the economy. We use to do 15-20 loads a week now its 4-10. If it were me and I had that kind of connection to the local stores and Restaurants I would start slow and get as many local customers as possible. Hopefully the economy will get better and when you are ready and they will be ready for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by