is there such a thing a chicken proof plants?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missychicky, Jun 29, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I am SICK of looking a my chickens run. It is either mud or dust depending on the season. I really want to put some plants in there. I know the chickens would eat the plants to death but are there any chicken proof plants? Something the chickens don't like?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I don't know about what a chicken wouldn't eat, but mine would play with it or mash it.....

3. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Normally if the chickens dont eat the plants it is becouse they are poisenous ( sorry about the spelling) What about plastic plants [​IMG]

4. Khyree

Khyree Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Burien
    my chickens won't touch mint plants... and they tend to leave my other really strongly flavored herbs (like sage and rosemary) alone as well... but is there enough room in the run for them? my little ones can destroy a patch of grass like no body's business... now that they have the whole backyard things are good... i'd search the website for that subject as i think there have been several conversations about good plants that chickens aren't as fond of destroying/eating...

5. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Catus? [​IMG]

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:They'd proubly find away to eat one of those to... [​IMG]
    Mine ate a tistle bush that grew in their lot [​IMG]

7. MrsStephan

MrsStephan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Junipers? They smell strongly, are prickly and taste bad. My chickens seem to leave most of the pines and junipers alone. You would probably want to put chicken wire cages around anything you plant to keep them from experimenting. I use metal tent stakes to hold them down. Seems to be working with the chickens and the rest of the wild life around here bent on eating everything.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine eat everything. I have even seen them eating young pine trees.

9. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The best thing I ever did was cover the run...no more mud! Put things for them to climb on like branches, straw bales... but plants, they will peck & scratch it to death...also give them some shade. Can you let them out from time to time?

10. TwilightMom

TwilightMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Livermore, California
    Mine won't eat the oleanders or the tomato plants (thankfully). Everything else gets eaten. Oh, they don't eat my butterfly bush or fully established roses either. They like the new growth on my new rose bush though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by