is there such a thing as a bantam astraulorp?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sandrachx, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    i know i spelled it wrong ... anyway, i really like that breed and wondered if there was a bantam size. also, if i get astraulorp chicks will they grow up and be kind to my silkies and cochins? i'm looking for kind, gentle, friendly chickens. any suggestions?

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I know they have them in Europe, don't know about North America though.

To be Honest I like the Standard Sized Australorps a lot better then the bantams, but then again I like all my chickens as big as possible.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    At one time I did see a Bantam Australorp hatching eggs on Eggbid about two years ago. The breeders were near the Canadian border but they live in US and had them imported from Canada a few years back. Now I dont see them anymore listed in Eggbid.

If you got the time and money, you can start making your own Australorp Bantams by crossing with Black Orpington Bantams with Black Australorps and keep the smallest chicks out of that year's lot and keep breeding smaller every year. might take you three to four generations to get down to that size.

Good luck!

4. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    If I remember correctly My Pet Chicken has bantam australorps.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    MPC has some Bantams but dont see any Bantam australorps. Perhaps Buff Orpington Bantams????????

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    Your right...I'll keep looking. I Know I saw them for sale somewhere...

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one....her pic is my avitar.

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I had a breeding pair. I got them from a breeder in West Texas I believe. They were great little birds. Very sweet and friendly. The rooster was shown several times before I bought him and had a few titles under his name. The hen was very young when I got her. She was just as easy to handle, but she wasn't as relaxed in your hands as he was. Because they were from a show quality line they were gorgeous, but she didn't lay very well. And none of the hens layed an egg that looked alike. My friend got a quad from the same breeder. My hen layed a little dark brown, almost perfectly egg-shaped egg that leaned a little towards being round. One of her hens layed a really long pointy almost white egg. And all the other hens eggs were in between.

Ricky and Lucy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to say: Excuse the grainy pics. I lost the originals and these are scanned from printed copies.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by