Is there such a thing as a barred rock easter egger?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Slinkee, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Slinkee

Slinkee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    We placed an order for 5 RIR's and 5 Easter Eggers that we received 1-10. They came packed with (supposedly) 5 barred rock roos. What I got was 5 RIR's, 2 chipmunks, one yellow, 1 brown and 6 seemingly identical barred rock roos with the exception of one of their head spots slightly, looking more of a V than a dot. I called the hatchery and made sure I was identifying them all properly and while the woman was skeptical they had shorted us an EE she agreed all evidence pointed that way and gave us a credit. Today they are 12 days old and all of the pullets are feathering nicely while the roos are just starting to get a few wing feathers...with the exception of the one with the odd shaped dot on its head. It has almost as many feathers as the other pullets but not quite, and definitely has the same pattern as the Barred rock roos. Silly question I'm sure but is it possible that this odd chick is actually an EE?

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    By definition an Easter Egger is a mixed breed chicken, so based on my limited experience and knowledge I say, yes it could be.
    [​IMG]

3. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    That was why I was wondering but at the same time it would be a HECK of a coincidence to get an EE that looked like a barred rock when they were packed with barred rock roos. I posted a pic on the other thread and I think it's possible it's actually barred rock pullet. Time will tell I suppose.[​IMG]

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    What color are its talons and legs? If green then its the EE.

Edit: What I get from my Ameraucana Roo and a Barred Rock hen is black sex link EE's. (boys have a white spot on the back of their head (barring with age) and girls are all black)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Photo?

6. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    If you did Ameraucana hen and a Barred Rock Roo, you may get the barred EE,,,,,,?,,,, they wont be sex links, from what I have read,,,,

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    This is the chick I was unsure about, it's head spot is different from the others although I'm still sure it's a barred rock either way. I'm just not 100% it's a roo, it has twice as many feathers as the other 5 (they're two weeks old now, the first photo is from a few days back but the rest are from this morning). Thanks for the photo's and info on your EE's, at first I wondered if by chance we hadn't somehow ended up with an EE that was a barred rock cross because the woman at the hatchery was quick to point out that one of the black one's may have been a black EE but it has since started growing striped feathers sooooooo that would be an impressive coincidence. But, I couldn't find any photo's or info on barred rock/ee crosses other than the solid black sex-links. So much controversial and contradictory info on EE's out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm curious to hear the responses...

9. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    All the ones with white spots are male black sex links, the ones without the spot are female black sex links. All of my male sex links have more feathering than the females, but they are catching up. Males bar up, (I also have 1 black sex link from a spotted hen and roo of my sisters that is barring up, all male black sex links bar up to some extent) females remain solid black, though both may have color bleeding through. Males are said to be fair to good meat birds and females are said to be good layers. Mine are almost 4 weeks old and look pretty ragged now, (back and neck feathers coming in) I will have to get some new pics of them. The barring is very clear on some, and barely there on others, the one female that I got from this hatch is solid black and has the pea comb and muffs from dad. What I have read (in a vary long genetics thread) is that males get genes from mom and females get genes from dad. Not at all what I saw in my mind from this mix, and then to find out that the buff orpington roo with my barred rock produce the same black sex links with a buff splash on its face (maybe), buff and black chicks would have been pretty!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That is a barred rock cockerel.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by