Is there such a thing as a Barred rocks that is solid black ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christieann, Dec 30, 2010.

1. christieann

christieann New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I bought 8 barred rocks baby chicks back in the spring.
    Now that they are all grown up I have one very solid black rooster (he is stunning), but is he a barred rock?
    Then there is also one solid black hen, and the rest are the typical stripey pattern.
    Since I recently resigned from my job I was bored enough to hatch their eggs.
    The black (barred rock?) rooster crossed with 4 barred rock striped hens and the one black hen.
    The result is that I have a ratio of one solid chick to 4 of the typical stripey pattern chicks.
    Does the barred rock chicken have a solid black pattern in their breed description?
    [​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Plymouth Rocks do come in black, but it is more likely that the person accidentally stuck in an Australorp (more common breed)

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The black male over the barred females "should" result in a sex-link going on.

The black chicks (assuming all you hatched were from the barred females) would be females. The barred chicks would all be males. But, you did say that you have a black female in the mix as well.

I agree with the above poster that the black birds are more than likely Black Australorps that were accidentally mixed in.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    (barred) describes the color.

6. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    whatever this rooster is he is beautiful.he doesn't look black to me .he looks like chocolate.[​IMG]

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I was thinking Black Australorp myself when I read the title

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Lovely roo. what color are his legs? they look like they're slate or dark. Rocks should be yellow I think.

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Its a black Australorp. They look very similar to the barred rocks when chicks.

10. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Australorps fade from black to chocolate, just like Barred rocks fade from black and white to brown and tan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by