Is there such a thing as a duel purpose goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tberggren, Jan 21, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Hi I am hoping to get some goats in the spring, I would like to raise goats for both milk and meat. Is there one breed that works good for both purposes or do you recommend I go with two separate breeds?

Thanks for you input

2. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    Boer goats are primarily raised as meat goats. Nubians are probably the best milk producers, but they are noisy. Saanens might be a good compromise. They are big, are good milkers, and are quiet. When I was a kid we had milk goats. Every year in early spring they had a batch of kids, about half of which were bucks. We raised those, and any does we didn't want to keep, up to 8 months or so and then had them butchered and packaged for the freezer. You can keep the bucks longer, but you ought to castrate them at a young age. At about 7 month or so they start stinking to high heaven if you don't.

Also, unless you plan to keep your meat goats in a pen and feed them hay and grain, in other words, if you want them to browse in a pasture or woodlot, you will need a very good fence. Goats are hard to contain, and they are very vulnerable to dogs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    There are several duel purpose goat breeds:

*LaManchas
    *Nubians( Anglo-Nubian)-the most common
    *Kinders
    *Peacock Goats
    *Saanens
    *Myotonic (Fainting) goats are a wonderful dual purpose goat. They come in many sizes, from the tiny Mini-Fainters to the large Meat Fainters. No matter the size, they all share some common characteristics. Myotonics are a muscular breed that has a docile temperament. They are naturally more parasite and disease resistant than other breeds and can be milked. Myotonics make excellent production animals or pets. The coat can be long, medium or short and any color or combination of colors.

Its going to depend on your area on what you can get.Ggoats are clever and stubborn and there is usually a few in every herd who dedicate themselves to mining every inch of the fence line looking for a weak link. Once it is discovered, they make the most of it, and the rest of the herd will not be far behind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    La Manchas were originally dual purpose, but *most* of what you will find today are milkier thinner models.

Some strains of Nubians can be a meatier type goat, but a lot of breeders are also getting away from that type as it's not as efficient.

Kinders are an excellent dual purpose goat. That's a cross between a Pygmy and a Nubian. There is a registry for them, and if you like the way they look, they might be exactly what you are looking for.

Saanans are not what you are looking for, they are big-but taller means less effecient meat production. You've got to put the feed in for that bone growth. Most good boers (meat goats) are very short.

**KS Acres, owner and breeder of Nubians and La Manchas**

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I was going to suggest Kinders, too. [​IMG]

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I agree, I was thinking kinders!

7. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    OK...just being picky retentive here but...

...the word is DUAL! Not duel.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am sorry, I just keep seeing these poor goats used for jousting and it cracks me up!

OMG!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pedro

PS Thanks for making my day!

8. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Thanks for the laugh!! [​IMG]

I never was much of a speller.

9. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Anyone know where I could get them? I checked the net and didn't come up with much of anything.

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    What area are you in? I know alot of goat breeders, so I may be able to help you find some kinders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by