Is there such a thing as a grasshopper trap?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grandads, Aug 7, 2010.

1. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    We have tons of grasshoppers. I want to catch them for the chickens, but I don't want to catch by hand. Is there a trap you can make or buy?

EclecticLadyy likes this.
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    If your chickens free-range they should be catching them themselves!

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Best trap for grasshoppers is free range chickens. Then you do not have to feed so much. Just let them out an hour before sunset and watch them go to town on them. When it gets darker they will head back into the pen and coop up for the night like normal.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    A bunch of tall grass and a butterfly net would be fun. I wish I had a cricket trap.[​IMG]

5. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    YES THERE IS! they sell them fo fishing. I suggest just letting the chickens run though that waythey get greens too! [​IMG]

6. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I have been going out every night and picking them off of my garden plants. I would love a trap though...much faster!

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    So much more fun to watch the chickens chase after them! or is it that you really want to catch the little buggers [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    I do freerange my hens on 5 acres. I live on 215 acres. tons of grasshoppers right now. I can't just turn them loose because of dogs. I live in the country, which city people see as a great place to dump their unwanted dogs! How long do you think it would take to catch by hand grasshoppers for 150 hens?

9. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    days by hand. with a trap....days but you wouldnt be dong the work! If you got alot of traps it might work faster [​IMG]

10. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Fashion a sweep net out of an old sheet or curtains -you want something with a folded over hem you can just loop over a couple of coat hangers twisted together in a circle. You circle should be roughly 12 inches in diameter and your net should taper to 28 or 30 inches long. Give it a 12 to 24 inch branch for a handle and set the kids loose!

Should look similar to this: http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=5280

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by