Is there such a thing as a sterile hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slacker66, Dec 2, 2016.

1. slacker66

slacker66 New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    Is it possible to have a chicken that never lays eggs? I have four chickens a Rhode Island red, a buff orpington, a Americana, and a speckled Sussex all of which I got as chicks in the spring. The speckled Sussex is about 5 weeks older than the other three which started laying eggs around the first week in November but she has yet to lay an egg. Is it possible that she is sterile?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Speckled Sussex are slow to start laying. Mine never started before 6 months and usually they don't begin until 7 or even 8 months in age. There are some hens that don't begin until they are older than that. All the SS I have owned weren't the best layers. I haven't had a sterile hen, but I'm sure they exist on occasion.

3. slacker66

slacker66 New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you for that information. I got her on April 6th so she is about 8 months old which is why I was concerned that she may never lay but I guess I should give her a little more time before I worry. I had heard that speckled Sussex we're supposed to be productive layers which is one of the reasons I picked that breed

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She should start soon I think. Some lines are more productive than others.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It's my understanding that pullets take about one month longer to come into lay if you are having diminished day light as I am and don't supplement lighting. Only like 20 ish more days until the winter solstice! [​IMG]

Also, even among the same breed I have had a more than 4 week span between onset of laying in the same brood/growing conditions. And even farther between different breeds. All are individuals.

I am sure a sterile hen is possible, but that isn't likely the case.

Also, any chance of a hidden nest? Do you free range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by