1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there such a thing as a sterile hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by uwdawgbone, Aug 2, 2013.

1. uwdawgbone

uwdawgbone New Egg

May 11, 2013
    I have four hens - one black australorp, one red laced Wyandotte and two rosecombs. They're all the same age - they were four months when I got them at Mother's Day, which means they should be around 27-28 weeks. Still no eggs!!!

They eat very well - a combination of chicken egg layer feed, chicken scratch and recently some dried mealworms/crickets with each meal. I also give them plenty of greens from the garden. Blackie is quite friendly and definitely the "leader" of the other hens, but they all get along and there's no evidence of pecking.

I put a few golf balls in the nesting boxes to inspire them. I joked with my son I was going to put pin-ups of roosters in the henhouse as inspiration (haha). My husband threatens to have BBQ chicken here soon if they don't start laying (fortunately Blackie has won him over with her sweet personality, so she's safe from the Weber.)

I've read several posts and various websites for tips/tricks, and am starting to wonder if they're just happy eating and pooping and might never lay eggs.

Any thoughts?

2. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Eventually there will be eggs. Yes, some hens never lay but not usually the case.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Look at their vents...are they small and round, or wide? If they are not laying yet they will be small and round. I am wondering if you have hidden nests or egg eaters...most likely not but it never hurts to consider the possibility and check their vents to see if they seem to be laying.

It is quite possible that they are late bloomers. I would totally stop the scratch and see what happens.

4. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    They'll lay, this is the hard part!
    Are they doing the squat for you yet?
    When you are above them do they squat down for a scratch? Usually a week or so from laying once they squat.

Are you sure they are hens? (id assume so if no crowing!)

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they free range at all?
    they may be secretly laying elsewhere.

6. uwdawgbone

uwdawgbone New Egg

May 11, 2013
    Thanks for the comment on squatting down for a scratch. Blackie does this - we thought she just wanted to be held. (as you can tell, we're new to raising chickens!)

I also plan to completely clean out the coop this weekend to look for hidden nests....

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you post pictures of them? Their ages might have been off when you got them and they may be younger than you think. We've seen that a lot on the "what breed or gender" board, folks think their hens are laying age and pics show they're a month or so younger.

8. uwdawgbone

uwdawgbone New Egg

May 11, 2013
    I actually got all four in one picture - quite a feat!

From left, Crafty, Blackie, Fireball and Crafty's Sister.

(We never got around to naming Crafty's Sister, so that's her name now...)

9. uwdawgbone

uwdawgbone New Egg

May 11, 2013
    hmmm...permissions issue. Can't upload attachments. Will try to figure that out....

10. uwdawgbone

uwdawgbone New Egg

May 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Got it - here's the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by