Is there such a thing as bantam ducks? Opinions also needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 19hhbelgian, Jun 22, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was wondering if there is such a thing as bantam ducks, and if they might be better suited to backyard living. I no longer have a nice creek for quackers to live along, but I am seriously missing having ducks and geese. I only want 2 or 3, but I also want them to be happy. Any opinions on keeping ducks if you don't have a "natural" water source? Below is a pic of one of my Toulouse geese [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. There are several breeds of bantam ducks out thre. Off the top of my head, I can suggest call ducks. Other will also contribute to that.

We don't have a natural water sourse. We spent last Father's Day (last year, that is) digging a small pond for our two Muscovy hens. You can even use a small pool.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Just use a kiddie pool. I have two of the small ones and am hopefully upgrading soon [​IMG]

Also, If you have like those plastic /metal rabbit cages, you can use the plastic tub that serves as the bottom. I use those when I dont have enough pools.

Rubber maid storage boxes are also good. They arent deep but they are better than nothing.

but of course in the summer, most of these require changin and/or scrubbing every other day.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have Call ducks. They are pretty small and very friendly.

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Would buff's be bantam? My buff is a petite little thing.
    Ive been on here for months.. yet I dont know what that is!! Is bantam just a word for like mini or something?

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    mallards,calls,east indies......baby ducks [​IMG] are the only bantams I can think of LOL

would a baby bantam be a bantam bantam? [​IMG]

7. Quote:Yeah, mini is a good word for it. Bantam ducks, bantam chickens...it means that they're just a smaller version of the real thing (half to a quarter of the size of the origional). Not counting some special bantams of chickens and ducks, who have no 'larger counterpart'...Lol, did that make any sense at all? [​IMG] It's hard to phrase it.

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im just making sure I get it right, lol. My buff's kids are only two months old but she is the midget of the group! They were a little shocked when they outgrew mama!

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:[​IMG]. "baby ducks". [​IMG]

thanks so much! I was worried they wouldn't do well with just a kiddie pool, but now I know better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: