Is there such a thing as no bake meringue?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by gritsar, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO loves my no bake coconut cream pie, but said he would like a teensy amount of meringue on top. Most of the recipes I know of for meringue call for it to be baked and I can't bake it after I've already put it on the no bake pie. [​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I've never heard of one. Maybe you try just making some meringue and baking it on a cookie sheet, then top the pie with it? What sort of weirdo has meringue on coconut cream pie anyway...you're supposed to have whipped cream. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My weirdo! LOL Have you ever heard the phrase birds of a feather flock together? [​IMG]

Seriously he says I'm the best cook but then always makes "suggestions" [​IMG] on how I could make something more to his liking. My fault for spoiling him so I know.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My DH is a little like that. For the most part he has learned to stay out of the kitchen when I'm cooking. Otherwise i beat him out with a wooden spoon. [​IMG]

He told me the eggs I cooked for him were basically poo a few years ago and now if he wants eggs, he cooks them. [​IMG]

5. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    this here weirdo likes toasted meringue and toasted coconut on his coconut cream pies and my weirdo wife knows it and enjoys the same! Try making Italian meringue using the sugar syrup method while constantly beating the egg whites in your mixer. You can consult any baking reference you choose;whether from a library or from "The Joy of Cooking" or online. I need not rehash a recipe here. Italian meringue will hold it's own since the sugar syrup comes straight from the stove and "cooks" the egg whites. All that needs to be done is to top off your pie, add lightly toasted coconut and pass the topped pie under the top broiler for a few seconds to finish toasting the meringue and coconut!

All y'all take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by