1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there such a thing as too much oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wings, Jan 19, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have 4 six-month-old hens that have just recently started laying. Their eggs are very healthy with firm yolks and very strong shells. I mix some oyster shells into their feed. Is such a thing as too much oyster shells for them?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you are worried, put the oyster shells in a separate container. Then they will just peck at it when they need it.

3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I'm not worried. I was just curious to see if anybody knew anything about it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. COUNTRYMAN

COUNTRYMAN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    i suggest oyster shell in it's own container free choice, they will only eat what they need

5. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There is a thing as too much calcium, just keep the oyster shells seperate and good luck [​IMG]

6. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    I keep a separate small feeder with an oyster shell / grit mixture. I'll see them occasionally take some out. My shells are thicker then store bought obviously but nothing out of the ordinary. Oddly enough my EE's take more of the mix than my BR's.

7. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Hey, another Houstonian. Nice to meet you. Our chicks are not yet old enough for oyster shells yets. I think we are going to use the crushed up egg shell instead of the oyster though. It just seems like that will contribute to keeping the cost of the eggs down.

8. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    mjdtexan, I wouldn't worry too much about costs on oyster shell when they are ready for it. I bought a $10 sack (not sure on weight but I would guess 20#) about 4 months ago and they have maybe gone thru 1/4 of it.

If you are ever in the Pearland area, drop me a PM before you head that way. My taps always have cold St. Arnolds flowing thru them. I still have the Christmas Ale on tap and I just put on an Elissa IPA.

9. Willie647

Willie647 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Another Texan checking in. I am in Dickinson and have 20 outlaw chickens. Beer Guzzler,I guzzle too. Ditto on the oyster shell.
    Willie

10. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I sure hope not. lol. All of my chicken runs have about 6" of crushed ocean clam shells in them. The crushed shells are a byproduct of the commercial fishing industry out here on the coast. The processing plants practically give them away because it's hard to find places to dump them. Many people use them for driveways.

In the chicken runs, they not only provide a source of grit and calcium, they provide great drainage. When it rains the chickens are never in the mud and are always clean. My eggs are hard enough that you can almost bounce them. The chicks still hatch well from them too.

Here's a pic of one of my coops and runs with the clamshells.[​IMG][/img]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by