Is there such birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ameraucanacrazy, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    I was wondering if it is posable for lavender mottled bantam Cochins?

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I doubt it, I know of a couple people that are working on lavender bantam cochins, but you would need to take a Lavender Cochin Roo over a black mottled hen, and work on them from that point on. Mottling is recessive and so is Lavender (both birds would need to carry the trait for it to be present) , so you would need to take the offspring from that mating and breed together to get the lavender and the mottling, and it would take several more generations to get them right. Just what I have learned in my limited time with chickens and genetics, if some of the old timers disagree with me, go with what they say...

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sure, why not? Lavender and mottled can occur on a bird. I've seen it in orpingtons. Don't see why you couldn't see it in cochins.

4. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Okay thanks and one more question is it possible to get lavender partridge.

5. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    It can definitely be done, but Lavender is a new color (as far as I know) to cochin bantams...will probably be a little time before you see any of the lavender mottled...in the Old English breed it is called Pearl, lavender mottled...

6. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    No idea on lavender partridge, I dont know how you would go about it, lavender does not have a lacing with it, so imo (limited that it is) you couldnt make a lavender partridge...

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Actually, lav cochins have been around for a while in bantams. I think there are some working on large fowl, but that is pretty new. Yes, you can dilute most any color with lavender and lots of work.

8. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Okay thank yall

9. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:I stand corrected, I had heard from a couple people that were trying to work on lavender cochin bantams, I thought it was a new color in the breed...

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:It depends on the term "Lavender" and the person you ask. To me no, you can not have a "Lavender" mottled fowl.
    "Lavender" is what's known as Self Blue, Self Color by APA definition is: A single uniform color throughout the plumage, as in Black and White varieties.
    So a Self Blue ("Lavender") should be a single uniform Blue throughout the plumage, now by adding Mottling you no longer have a Self colored fowl and no longer a Self Blue ("Lavender") color.
    In my eyes if you would add Mottling to a "Lavender" colored fowl that color would now be a Blue Mottled.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by