Is there such thing as a Grey Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by K-12 Chickens, Nov 25, 2011.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Is there really such thing as a Grey Leghorn? I've looked at chicken breed books and have seen everything BUT a Grey Leghorn variety.

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    How about a : Class: Class: California Gray

Never accepted into the APA Standard of Perfection

Size: Cock: 5.5 lbs Hen: 4.5 lbs

Comb, Wattles and Earlobes: Bright red single comb and wattles, small white earlobes close to head.

Color: Dark horn beak, reddish bay eyes, yellow shanks and toes MALE : Barred in light grey and white FEMALE : Barred in dark grey ( almost black ) and white

PLace of origin: United States

Conservation Status: Not applicable

Special Qualities: Good layer of white eggs. Autosexing Parent stock of today's commerical California White hybrid.

This breed was developed in California during the 1930s by crossing White Leghorns with Barred Plymouth Rocks. The goal was to have a good dual-purpose bird that laid large white eggs. It was never accepted into the APA Standard of Perfection, so the breed never really took off.

This breed is autosexing, with distinctly different coloring in pullets and cockerels at hatching time. It was later used in the development of the California White, a commercial hybrid.

California Grays are said to be calm, and they are excellent winter layers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Snowbell(the gray leghorn)is quite calm but can be a little aggressive sometimes. She has a large red floppy comb and fairly big wattles. She is pure white and has a wedge-shaped tail. Here is a head shot of her:

[​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Well.. since she's pure white, why are you saying she's a grey? She looks more like a White Leghorn or a California White.

6. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Because that's what I heard she was. Maybe the name got mixed up or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by