Is there such thing as a white sex links chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wullus, Jun 3, 2012.

1. wullus

wullus Chirping

May 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    I went to order some day old chicks from our local farmer supply store, and ordered 6 girls, 2 of each red, white and black,

I forgot to ask the bloke what breed they were, but until I am called to go and collect them, do you know what breed they could possibly be? All I was told was the colors, but is a white sex links chicken possible? Or a black one? I'll report back when I find out what they are :)

Thanks!

2. Interesting plight Wullus,

Definitely there is a black sexlink here in the 'states. It is sometimes called a black star.

It would be interesting if this were the white one that you will be getting:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/amber-star-hybrid

I have heard of people in UK getting these...but not USA. If it turns out to be an Amber star-- and you can find out the other parent besides Rhode Island Red...I would be interested in knowing. Also---chicks? You MUST post pictures so we can ooooh and awww over them! :O)

ETA:
    HEY!! I just looked at your u tube video. Good luck with the hatch. That hatching calendar is way-cool. Just about a week ago, my first ever chicks hatched. OMG---they will grow so fast...Today I'm thinking i need to move them to the their 3rd-larger box.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Yes. The red sexlink males are mostly white with red in the wing areas when they're older.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is also quite possible that the chicks are being vent sexed rather than being a sex-link. Probably the most common whites would be leghorn or plymouth rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: