Is there truly a BLUE egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cake lady hen lover, Aug 17, 2018.

1. cake lady hen lover

cake lady hen lover In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2018
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I have researched and owned a lot of chicken breeds, lots of types of Ameracaunas and Easter Eggers. One of my life long goals was to find a hen that will lay a true pale blue egg. My hens have always layed what I consider a pale mint green egg, and I have read all about other chicken owners that get blue eggs. Yet the photos they show look pale green to me.
    Is my quest ridiculous? I am not expecting a robin's egg blue, but just a pale blue-green, instead of just a green.
    Any thoughts or pictures of these?

2. Super Blue Egg Layer, I've got tons and they lay bright blue eggs. Not quite Robin blue though.

3. cake lady hen lover

Aug 17, 2018
    St. Louis, Missouri
    What breed is a super blue egg layer?

4. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    My old girls would only lay blue ones. Good Luck!

5. 20180721_153304.jpg
    Not the best picture, it's brighter in person. Top one is a Super Blue Egg and the bottom is just an Easter Egger egg. :)

6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My 2 EE lays blue eggs! Love the splash of colors in my egg cartons!!!

7. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Cream Crested Legbars lay blue eggs. They are not bright blue, but up against a green egg you can definitely see the blue!

8. That is the breed. They look like just about any chicken. They're called Super Blue Egg Layers. 20180803_203755.jpg 20180802_142305.jpg 20180803_203638.jpg
    I also have one with a full beard and muffs. They're pretty much mixed breeds like EE'S, except they lay lots of decent sized blue eggs vs slower production green ones. :)

ETA: I can't get rid of the cat picture??? Sorry :(

Attached Files:

9. cake lady hen lover

Aug 17, 2018
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Thanks! Where can you get a cream crested legbar? That is a new breed to me.
    I have had every type of 'ameracauna', and had read that the blue wheaten's eggs were the bluest, and after patiently waiting 8 months, they came out the same mint green, much to my dismay.

10. cake lady hen lover

Aug 17, 2018
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Thanks for the pics, Husker... I will continue my quest for the bluest egg. My research found that the original rumpless Aracauna from Chile is the only true blue egg layer. I was thinking about trying to smuggle one into the country, but I doubt it would pass customs.... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: