Is this 11-week old Leghorn a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nwtim, Jul 28, 2011.

1. nwtim

nwtim Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    We have a leghorn that was born first in a batch of three and has always been the "alpha" of the group. Both our boys have thought they heard "him" crowing but are not certain because it wasn't exactly like a classic cock-a-doodle-doo and they were in the house when they heard it. We also have crows that live in the trees around us and they can be very loud and obnoxious at times, so it's hard to rule out that the boys might've heard that.

Anyway, we're thinking our beautiful/handsome Leghorn Cochin might be a he, but we're just not sure and we're going to have to be away for a week while in-laws stay at our place and take care of them.

What behaviors are dead giveaways if I've never heard him/her crow? Can you tell just by looking at this age (11-weeks)? It seems I've seen pictures on the web of leghorn hens that have just as big a crown as ours, so we're really uncertain.

[​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    looks like a Rooster [​IMG]

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

From the pictures it has the posture of a female. My males had a much bigger erect comb and tail.

And they didn't start to crow uptill 15 to 16 wks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I do not have leghorns- however this looks like a pullet to me. She doesn't have classic signs of saddle feathers. Her body shape looks hen.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Your Cochin Cross is a Rooster.

Chris

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a rooster. Yes, a full leghorn hen can have a larger comb younger than many breeds, but that's big and red! And the first crowing attempts won't sound classic--often it sounds like something's being strangled lol.

7. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    i see no droopn' saddle feathers, i have a white leghorn hen that has a bright red comb. It's a girl

8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Absolutely A Rooster My Roo It Took A Long While Until He Got The Tradition Cocka Doodle Doo Out But He Did Ans Yours Will Also But That Is A Boy![​IMG]

9. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Your leghorn is actually a cochin cross cockerel. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by