Is this a arcana pullet or a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fifibreen, Aug 29, 2010.

1. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Any old-wise-hen wisdom is welcome here! I'm new and do not have a lot of experience or chickens to compare to.

We just added two new chickens, which are currently separated from our existing two. Since we do not have proper time to raise chicks, we purchased older birds. The two new birds acquired are an arucana, and buff orpington.

I was very confident that both were pullets until I noticed nubs, or like beginnings of spurs on the arcana. Compared to my other birds the nubs are more pronounced and protrude slightly and are hard. I picked this arcana out of a group mainly based color. The color was more unique and pretty to me. I'm wondering if the color is more unique because this could be also cockerel? He/she has seeming slightly larger legs... ? I was given a age range of 5-7 months. I let the buff orpington appear in the photos since she is the same age if that helps for comparison. I'm not allowed to keep roosters unfortunately... Also, I was told this was a arcana, but I think that it is a Easter egger. Not that it matters to me, but any suggestions here are well?

Thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Well its really an easter egger, not an araucana. But I would say its a pullet. Pullets have those little bumps, Im not sure what they are called, or they even have a name. She very pretty.

ETA: Oh and welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I think she's an Easter Egger pullet. [​IMG]

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Easter egger hen! Hens can develop spurs, especially in polish [​IMG]

5. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Those bumps are where spurs would come in as a boy or stay as a bump in girls. The anatomy is there, even if it isn't being used. If they start to grow long and spur like - then you may have a roo... I'm saying pullet, as she looks like my new one.

6. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the suggestions on breed and gender! I feel a lot better about my new girl! [​IMG]

7. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I have a sweet little pullet that looks just like her...[​IMG]

8. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    Quote:Lots of hatcheries claim to have Amerecaunas or Araucanas but they're really Easter Eggers. She looks like a hen to me.

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by