Is this a Baby Sultan??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by antiquebuff, Apr 29, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Does anyone have a photo of a baby Sultan they could post? I need to see what one looks like. Thanks!
    A couple of posts down I posted my photos and I rec. these from a hatchery last week and am not sure they are Sultans. Please give your opinion and thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you tried searching feathersite for sultan?

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    It isn't a picture, but you can still see the little one. This is a video of my white cochin pullet (even though she is blue in the video) taking a dust bath in their bowl of food. My little white sultan pullet is the one with the orange/yellow beak and white down that is standing a little off to the right hand side.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maidservantofthelord/Chicks/?action=view&current=MVI_1344.flv

And here is a picture of the same one at three weeks old:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    Emily in NC

4. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for the information about Feather Site and to Emily for the photos . I am attaching photos of some Sultan chicks that I got from a hatchery last week and I am worried they are not Sultans. Will you please give your opinion. They are 10 days old. They have a light gray down the back and this confuses me. thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    You've got white sultans! My one sultan pullet had the grey/bluish back, and my one white cochin bantam was solid blue/greyish. Now they are both solid white. They are 13 weeks old now and I need to take new pictures of them, lol. A good indicator that the babies are at least silkies or sultans, how many toes do they have? Do they have 5? Sultans and silkies both have 5 toes per foot. Surprisingly, so does my white cochin! All of my other cochins have 4 toes per foot, but that little white one is one of my special babies! My sultan and white cochin were bought from TSC/Privett Hatchery because we thought that they would be silkies, thus my research on the 5 toe thing.

6. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh, I am so happy. I have 8 of them. I ordered from Mc Murrey and they are all healthy and happy. They just didn't look like the photos of the babies on the MM web site. They do have the 5 toes. I also have 8 Silkies that I incubated and are now 8 weeks old. I love those and they are true pets. I just put them outside in the pen and they were not real happy. They wanted to stay in the house and be held. I miss they so much but had to make room inside for 51 babies I rec from MM. I got the 8 Sultans, 25 Polish Top Hats, 7 red Frizzle Cochin , 8 black Frizzles and 5 Buff Japanese. I am having so much fun and now so proud I have Sultans. I am told their temperament is a lot like Silkies. I hope so. Thanks for all your help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by