Is this a bad thing...lol

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Turkeyrangler, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    OKay, so I found myself tonight with a 2 pound very friendly poult sitting on my shoulder(with a towel) listening to Pachelbel's canon in D Major. We both seemed to enjoy it very much. He/she snuggled up close and did some purring. I'm thinking that at 20 pounds this may not be a good thing. BTW- this is a heritage turkey with no plans of eating.

Just so you know, if you have any unruly turkey poults this will make them chill, might make you chill too....[​IMG]

the link...

enjoy

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    A couple of years ago we had a blue slate and red Bourbon that did that when they were small,. When they got older like at around 25 pounds One tried to fly up to my shoulder. Fortunately I ducked and it veered off just in time. As time moves a long I don't remember exactly what i said, but the rest of the family keeps reminding me I said something like "Opp's maybe I should not have done that". Personally i would have guessed i said something a little more saltier that can't be written in this forum.

So every time I now think of doing this I don't and have flash backs of that day.

Tom

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I think that's great! I bought a mix of heritage turkeys this year. They have been particularly friendly. They are for eating (mostly), and I have been a little concerned about whether I will be able to butcher them. Fortunately for me, they are getting a little less friendly as they get older, except one hen who like sitting in my lap. Luckily for her, she's the only bronze hen, and I will need her for breeding.

4. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Lagerdogger,

You live in Aitkin. Not very far from me then, I'm near Duluth. I may have some questions about how to keep these turkeys over winter. I plan to breed to the ones I have and process the offspring next year. any suggestions??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by