Is this a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerlor, Apr 18, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I started feeding the duckies and geese the flock raiser feed all wet down with warm water and they love it, even the baby turkey loves it but now I'm wondering....they seem to want me to come in and add more warm water throughout the day. Are these guys so spoiled they won't be able to eat COLD food or DRY food? And what's with the sitting in the bowl of wet mush while we eat? But seriously, will they eat dry food eventually?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think your spoiled brats will eat the dry food if they get hungry enough [​IMG]

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, they will.

I only offer "wet mash" one time a day to my chicks. They love it! The will ALWAYS pick it over their dry food. As they grow, I offer it less and less.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, thanks guys. I was really getting worried especially when the turkey preferred the wet food too and now that I have so many MORE ducks that will hatch soon I figured I'd be doing nothing but stirring up mush for ducks.

5. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Don't worry, as they get older the ducks and geese will do it for themselves. They'll take a bill full of dry feed and then go over to the water. The feed will back wash into the water and stink it all up and then they'll do it over and over again. [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so glad someone clarified this! Mine much prefer to have theirs watered down too! I mean, whats up with that? Then you worry that maybe they aren't eating enough, because there always seems to be so much left in their feeder/bowls? [​IMG]

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The feed can spoil if not all eaten, and yes that could be a bad thing.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ducks need a lot of water when they eat. They must be able to rinse and clean their nares as they eat so they can breath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by