Is this a Bantam Brahma Chick? Can You Tell Gender from Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fernchick, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Fernchick

Fernchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Hi everyone! I love this section of the forum. :) I got this chick from a private breeder as a Light Brahma pullet. She/he is 4 weeks old now and is about half the size of the other chicks (BOs, BR, etc), so I'm wondering if she/he is a bantam? There were many breeds on the farm where I got the chicks, including bantams. Her/his coloring kinda looks like some of the pics I've seen of Dark Brahma roos, with the white flight feathers and rump. There is some mottling coming in the dark feathers on her/his back, as well as light and dark feathers on the legs. It appears to have a single pea comb. I know in a few more weeks, the gender and type will be more obvious, but it's so fun to guess right now. It's a very sweet, friendly chick. Please give me your opinions on breed and gender. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Its not a light brahma. It looks like it'll be cuckoo, and looks to have a single/ straight comb, I think it's a cochin.

3. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    I would be thrilled if the chick was a Cochin, but aren't they fairly large birds? This chick is so small for 4 weeks... are Cochins a slow growing/maturing breed? I'm hoping for a hen too! :)

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Cochins come in LF and bantams

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Cochins also come in bantam size. I agree its not a brahma, brahma have rose combs. Your chick has a straight comb so likely a cochin. SO far it looks like a pullet but it is still quite young to say for sure.

Can you contact the person you got them from and find out if they had cochins? If they don't have cochins then maybe it is a brahma a mix of some sort.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

7. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Yes, they said they have both LF and bantam Cochins. So maybe it is a Cochin! Yay! :)

8. Fernchick

Jan 22, 2014
    Update: This chick turned out to be a barred bantam Cochin hen. 4 and half months old now, but not laying yet. She is very cute :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by