Is this a bantam Old English game hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    She is so tiny, weighing only 11 oz.
    I got two of them from our local show and just love them.
    My dog thought they were game and got one, so now she does not go out there without me.
    This one has done well in my group, but I want to get her a friend. Well all my research says that old english weigh about double her weight.
    I want one her size. Is she something else?
    She is a Wheaton.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like it or at least a mix

3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    She has white ear lobes. She could be a Dutch.

What kind of comb does she have? I can't quite tell in the picture.

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd say either Dutch/OEGB or Serama/OEGB. Pure Dutch have slate or blue legs, but you're correct that most OEGB hens are a bit bigger. She looks very similar to 3 Dutch/OEGB hens that I have, and they are all under 14 oz.

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Are the dutch smaller then the old english? She has a single comb but I don't know that much about it to describe it more then the picture shows. She is just so tiny and you would think delicate, but she sure can take care of her self, lol. No one out there is mean to her, but they do peck her away alot. She just moves out of their way.
    So OE don't have white earlobes?

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Do you have pictures of your dutch ones?
    I want to get he a friend, but not sure what to look for.
    She is such a dainty little thing, but she really manages her own around my larger hens and no one is hurting her or anything.
    When her buddy died, I put her in my baby coop with a mom who was brooding babies and she slept under the mom with the babies, lol.
    Then she hung with the babies, but they grew up and are ten times her size now, lol.
    I have been holding her and maybe she will just become my pet. :)

7. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    I meant to say, "get HER a friend"

8. spiritdance

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't have any pics at the moment, but yes, Dutch are typically smaller than OEGB. Seramas and Dutch are the smallest "true bantams" (no full size version). I have Dutchies, and one OEGB roo (the precocious one that wooed one of my girls), as well as a number of other breeds. My Dutchies are the friendliest of all my birds, and these mixed girls are tempered just like the purebreds. They love to be cuddled, will fly up and ride around on my shoulders while I do chores, and they are good broodies. In fact, one of the mixed sisters just hatched some Ameraucana eggs for me and she is a fantastic mom. If you can't find Dutchies, the OEGBs are very friendly, as well, but as I said they are usually a bit bigger (although not much). My OEGB roo is quite the character, very friendly with people and a clown to boot. He will "play" with action figures, stuffed mice, and ping pong balls, and he likes to sit on my head and play with my hair. Either breed would make a nice companion for your girl.

9. spiritdance

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, and OEGBs have red earlobes.

10. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Wow thank you for all that info. I will have to now keep my eyes open for dutch bantams. I love this tiny little size. Of course her eggs are so far not much at all, but maybe later they will get bigger. I also heard that the tiny birds don't roo very loud, so maybe if I find her a mate, I can keep it. lol. Thanks again for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by