1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Bantam? Or stunted growth?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by texas hiker, Oct 3, 2013.

1. texas hiker

texas hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    My wife and I got a rooster that had been neglected, and I was wondering if his small size is due to being a bantam, or stunted growth from poor nutrition?

The lady my wife and I got the rooster from says it is a heinz-57 mix breed. Its great grandmother "may" have been a buff, but the owner was not sure.

The rooster weighs maybe 4 or 5 pounds, sorry there is nothing for scale.

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    He looks proportional, not really like a runt/stunted. A lot of chicken breeds are small and 4-5 pounds is normal, would guess that a lot of the H57s that contributed to him are smaller breeds. Bantams are usually 1/4 to 1/5 the size of the standard breeds, so he is big for a bantam.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's at least part bantam. The set on the wing isn't usually seen on large fowl, I'm not a bantam person but he looks kinda gamey to me, with lots of other stuff mixed in! He's pretty and looks healthy, I think he's just mixed not stunted.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He looks fine to me. Some breeds of chickens (and mixes) are smaller than others. There is a huge difference in size between a Jersey Giant and a Serama. A chicken can be any size, depending on what breeds go into it. He is a small large fowl chicken, but is looks perfectly healthy.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. It almost looks like he could be mixed with a Nankin.

6. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    The wing set looks serama-ish. I'm guessing at least part serama, part Nankin, maybe some large fowl blood. Nice bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by