1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a banty?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wyo Chick, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my brother's bird. Can you tell from the picture if it is a bantam and what kind? It's about 17-18 weeks old? Thanks

The white one!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm taking a wild guess, but the coloring of what can be seen reminds me of that of a Red Shouldered Yokohama. Can't tell if he's a banty or LF.

3. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

How can I tell if this is a Bantam? I submitted the picture above.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Bantams are miniature size chickens. If you have any large fowl- it would be much smaller. He sure looks pretty!

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, in my Storey's Guide to Poultry Breeds book it says that Yokohama banty roos are approx. 26 oz.

Large Fowl Yokohama roos are approx. 4.5 lbs. Maybe you can weigh him?

Then again, if this bird is NOT a Yokohama, I could be way off.

Any way you could get a less blurry pic? Maybe one of his face as well? If he's not the breed in question, he does look very much like a game bird.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree. He looks like a standard.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It would be better to photograph the bird so that a recognisably sized object is next to the bird in such a manner that you can tell size differences. THere is a gallon waterer near by, but the angle of the photo distorts size differences. Put him right next to the waterer, and take a photo that is more level rather than looking downwards, and we could give a better answer.

8. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    looks like a red pyle roo of some kind...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by