1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Black and Red link chick? " Pictures "

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 18, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    When it hatched out i thought " Ohhh thats a pretty chicken!" and after getting on feathersite i noticed that it looked like a red link and the chickens we have are RIR,BR,WR and BA but i think the BA are not laying and we bought some RIR from a lady and mixed them in with our RIR but they might have been red link hens but i read somewhere that only the offspring will be links but not the offspring chicks of them will be links is that correct? We have RIR in one pen with a BR roo and WR,BR and some of the RIR in with a RIR roo in the second pen and i read to make a red link you use Rhode Island White hen x Rhode Island Red roo or a Delaware hen x Production Red roo we dont have any Delawares so i thought maybe it took for a WR hen?

[​IMG]
    and here is mine
    [​IMG] here it is a day old baby chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] and here it is now as a 3wk chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also i was just looking at feathersite and someone posted that this [​IMG] is a black link? and that if it has a white dot its a male black link well take a look at this
    [​IMG] i hatched out a total of 4 chicks that look like this one with white dots on the heads

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Anyone?? Hello??

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    IDK but black links when they hatch the girls will be black and the boys will be red its just how the black links go lol.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    wait is it a roo or a hen?

5. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:well if its black with a white dot suppose to be a male and if black all over without dot suppose to be female i thought and my 4 have white dots so i wont know until 2 wks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by