Is this a Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Henny Lane, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Henny Lane

Henny Lane Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    Ok folks, what the heck do i have here? I went to look at some chickens this evening and this woman had 3 or 4 of these. She says they're Black Copper Marans but they look different from our Marans. She only wanted $5 for her chickens so I scooped this one up because she was pretty. She has copper lacing on her chest and super feathery legs and feet. So what do you all think? Is she a Black Copper Marans? Some kind of banty mix? Opinions?[​IMG]

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Whoa, those are some feathery legs! She also looks rounder and puffier than a marans. Could she be a marans/cochin cross?

3. Henny Lane

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    That's what we were wondering as well! I've never seen a Marans with legs that feathery. She was too weird not to bring home! Our Marans aren't nearly as fluffy and don't have the lacing on the chest like that. They look like your typical french Marans. While she is very pretty and will make a unique addition to our flock, I'm wondering if the lady I bought her from was mislead. Either way, wondering what chicks would look like if we crossed her with our BCM roo. I think she's adorable!

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    reminds me more of a cochin

5. Henny Lane

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    Here is a better photo of her in the daylight. I tracked down the farm that hatched her this morning and she is a cross from some BCM eggs the woman ordered from Virginia and a BCM roo she bought locally. I'm just wondering if she is supposed to have the lacing on her chest like that if she is a true BCM? Someone suggested she looks like a Black Sex Link but those don't seem to have feathered feet and legs. What the heck do I have here? Anyone?

[​IMG]

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    She does look like a fluffy Black Sex Link with feathered shanks. I'd say she's mixed with Cochin judging by body type.

7. Henny Lane

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    I am now leaning towards Brown-Red Cochin/BCM cross. Any thoughts?

8. Henny Lane

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    Her body is Cochin-ish but her head says Marans to me.

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She's a Cochin, possibly a Cochin mix. Her type is too "Cochin-y" for her to be a Marans.

10. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    are you sure she's not a rooster ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by