Is this a Black Orp Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by celonecoop, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe mixed

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Cant tell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. celonecoop

celonecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    I got these chicks from a farmer who said they were black,blue and lavender orps. I think most of them are but there was a barred rock mixed in there. My barred rock and two lavenders met an untimely demise (dog,fox and hawk) but I've been looking at pics of black orp roosters and my guy has more color on him so any ideas maybe hes mixed or do black orps have colors?
    [​IMG]

2. Reminds me of partridge. Probably a mixed color austrolorp. (If your talking Orpington he's mixed breed / bad quality )

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He is mixed breed, maybe with some Orpington and Australorp in him.

4. celonecoop

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    closest thing I can find picture wise is a copper maran don't know maybe he's a mutt lol

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Black birds should be, well, black. Sometimes poor breeding gives you some red leakage, but that's way too much to call the bird black. I don't think it looks at all like an Orpington, either. The body type is all off. Orps are rounded, fluffy.

6. celonecoop

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA

Yes that's what I thought it looks a lot like a copper Moran at least that's the closest picture wise but some other people have suggested austalop?

7. celonecoop

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    Called the farmer today and he said all he has is Orpingtons,Speckeled Sussex and Delphy's so I'm at a fricken loss because I think "mutt" Looks nothing like these breeds lol

8. celonecoop

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    Update I emailed a couple Maran breeders "mutts" picture and the said he is defiantly a Copper Maran mix "mutt lol" I call the farmer where I got the peeps from and he says "huh I don't have any Marans I only have Orps,SS, and Delphi's" we'll I hate to tell you but maybe some Roo from a crossed the street (another farm with chickens) is sneaking over to get with your ladies so I guess his daddy is a Copper Maran and his momma is an Orp

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What's a Delphi?

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    He could be a mutt, something partridge, or a copper marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by