Is this a black sex link boy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by duluthralphie, Jul 25, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    If it is do they serve any purpose other than drumsticks?

If I understand what I have read they are not useful in chick production.

Is there a way to tell the barred chickens apart?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Yes, it appears to be a BSL boy. You can use him for chick production, but the BSL characteristics will not breed true and you have no way of knowing how the offspring will turn out. As far as telling the different barred breeds apart, here are some simple keys. Barred Rocks and Dominiques both have yellow legs, but Barred Rocks have single combs and Dominiques have rose combs. Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans both have single combs, but Barred Rocks have yellow legs and Cuckoo Marans have white legs. Also, the barring on Cuckoo Marans is looser and not as distinct as it is on Barred Rocks. Black Sex Link males look like Barred Rocks roosters, but with some odd coloring in feathers, or legs (like yours in the picture), or both. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Also notice that he is darker than a Barred Rock cock, about the same amount of black you would see in a BR hen. That is because a BSL roo has only 1 copy of the barred gene, not 2 like a pure BR cock. If you breed him to a non-barred black hen (like a female sibling), half the offspring will look like him (single barred) and half will look like the mother (no barring).

It's not that he's not useful for chick production, it's just that none of his offspring will be sex-linked, you will see chicks that have the white spots on their head (single barred like their daddy), but half will be hens.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Thanks!!

I must not be too bright...When I read people using the term "rose" comb. I always thought "How in the hades am I suppose to tell the difference between a rose colored comb and a red one....."

Your post got me to google it, I now know the difference, so thanks!!

BTW I will not be breeding the Black sex link males, their only fortune is they are very scrawny and will need a long time to fatten up.

Their misfortune is I plan to have a second coop and paddock to fatten them a little faster in about a month.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. The Black Sex Link roosters may not be of much value, but the Black Sex Link hens are fabulous. I've had them for a number of years and they are my favorite chickens; hardy, friendly, and egg laying machines (even slightly better in cold weather than the Red Sex Links I've had). I currently have seven Black Sex Link hens in my flock. I don't have any BSL roosters. When mine hens are old enough that their laying starts to slack off, I'll just order some more BSL pullets from one of the hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by