Is this a black sex link?

jenndera

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Mantua, NJ
I added a 12 week old hen (I think?) to my flock this past week. The previous owner was not sure on the breed. She said it was part of a hatchery special.

Does she (or he) look like a black sex link (black star)?

There is very faint light brown/gold around the neck feathers and each wing has 1 white feather that can only be seen if she's flapping her wings.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
She just doesn't have the look of a bsl pullet to me. My first thought is what hatchery did she come from, and what kind of comb does she have. I'm wondering if she could be a Meyer Olive Egger.

I agree with donrae about her not being a Black Sex Link. I've raised BSLs for years and she doesn't look like any Black Sex Link that I've ever seen. The body type is wrong, and if there are copper colored feathers ringing her neck, they are not enough for me to see them in the picture, even with it blown up. But she does look like some kind of mixed breed.

I agree with donrae about her not being a Black Sex Link. I've raised BSLs for years and she doesn't look like any Black Sex Link that I've ever seen. The body type is wrong, and if there are copper colored feathers ringing her neck, they are not enough for me to see them in the picture, even with it blown up. But she does look like some kind of mixed breed.
Not all BSLs have a really nice red neck, though. It depends on the breeds used to make them.

Back
Top Bottom