Is this a Black Sexlink?

Silvers

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2017

We special ordered a black sex link chicken. When we were picking her, and the rest of the chicks, up they were in a large bin with hundred or so other chicks. The employee pulled out the ones we requested. Since the sex link was a special order there was only one and the woman had commented that this one did not seem much like a sex link, but there were no others that could possibly be it. She is a little over six months old now and comparing her to pictures on the internet of other black sex links she is very light in color, while the others are mostly black.
We are actually quite happy with how she looks, we are just wondering if she is maybe a mix breed or if her plumage will begin to darken as she gets older.
Thank you for any and all answers! (;

We special ordered a black sex link chicken. When we were picking her, and the rest of the chicks, up they were in a large bin with hundred or so other chicks. The employee pulled out the ones we requested. Since the sex link was a special order there was only one and the woman had commented that this one did not seem much like a sex link, but there were no others that could possibly be it. She is a little over six months old now and comparing her to pictures on the internet of other black sex links she is very light in color, while the others are mostly black.
We are actually quite happy with how she looks, we are just wondering if she is maybe a mix breed or if her plumage will begin to darken as she gets older.
Thank you for any and all answers! (;
Black sexlinks can very quite a bit from completely black to mostly gold with just a bit of black, like your girl. Black sexlinks are a mixed breed, which is why there is so much variation.

Because sex links are created by crossing two different breeds you get a wide variety of final product appearance. This bird certainly may be a black sex link, I've had BSL that were similarly marked

Black Sexlink. I personally like them better with more gold, like yours, rather than mostly black.

Last edited:
Black Sexlink. I personally like them better with more gold, like yours, rather than mostly black.
Me, too.

She's what I call an atypical colored sex link. Lots more gold than the classic version, but the same basic cross and should be a wonderful layer.

This is one of the cool things about genetics---you hatch enough birds (like the hatcheries churn out) and you get one-offs like this from time to time.

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to double check.
And I agree, the light golden color is very appealing :)

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to double check.
And I agree, the light golden color is very appealing :)

I just can't get over how much like my last one I had this bird looks --- have been digging and digging to see if I can find a picture with her in it, but haven't come up with any yet. She was so pretty, but the least friendly of all my birds in that flock.

Back
Top Bottom