Is this a blood ring? Candling Picture Day #3

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jul 1, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    This is either a wheatan ameraucana (very light blue shell) or a golden laced wyandotte (also a very light shell). I have one GLW that has obvious veins etc. These are all shipped eggs and there were some loose air cells. I am not likely to make a decision until day #7 anyway, but am interested in opinions. What do you think?? Viable or not?

[​IMG]

2. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Here is a picture of another egg, with a similar pattern. I can't remember which picture is the GLW vs the Ameraucana.

[​IMG]

3. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Not a blood ring yet. It's too early to tell if it's developing - for me anyways.

4. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Good to hear there is still some hope for them. My last hatch was pretty good, but out of 6 chicks, I think I have only 1 hen. Since this is my first attempt at raising chickens, I don't want her to be an only child. I am really hoping to get a few more hens out of these 10 eggs, but since they are shipped, I am only expecting a few to hatch at all. Here is hoping for girls!!! [​IMG]:fl:fl

5. spikennipper

spikennipper Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Can't see an obvious blood ring though the eggs are very porous which is not ideal as they loose moisture more easily than other eggs, they can still hatch though so don't worry just keep an eye on them at each candling to check they are developing ok.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I don't discard any blood ring eggs anymore, I had one which I was 100% sure that it was blood ring and chick was dead! [​IMG]

I left it in the incubator because I had already taken the bins out and thought I would wait till the morning after I bring the bins back in (if i left it on the bench i risk the kids seeing and breaking it). The next morning I forgot to take the egg out and they all went into lock down. I was a bit panicky when the chicks started to hatch and I could not tell which egg it was once the chicks started rolling them around. [​IMG]

To my amazement they all hatched, I will never discard a blood ring again at any stage of incubation. I am obviously not as good as i thought at candling.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    That doesn't look like a blood ring at all to me, but that DOES look like a very porous, 'clear' egg. If you were at Day 7 for a chicken egg, you would see a very clear dark end to the egg where the membrane has started to form and the veins have started to grow. If I was making a call on that one, I would leave it another 3 days (day 10) and candle again to be sure, and then any that look like that get ditched so they don't decide to become bombs.

Click here and look at Day 7 pics to see what I mean about veins being on the egg. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

EDIT
    : The 'darker' part on the right side of the egg that you're seeing isn't a blood ring. It's a yolk. It threw me off the first time I candled, thinking it was a floating baby chick or something. However, once you see a developing chick the first time at Day 10, you can pretty much never mistake a yolk for a chick again.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. Looks to be a fertile egg growing a baby. Definitely don't toss it. Candle again at 14 days and you'll know for absolute certainty by then. "Porous" eggs can hatch chicks just fine.

9. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    @Kedreeva: They are only 3 days on that picture so would you still think it is clear. I do have one that was pretty definitely clear and these don't look the same.

I think I will go with the idea it is the developing yolk sac. I won't throw anything out until at least day #10. I don't have the confidence in my candling. Even then, I will probably only throw out the clears as I don't know what a "quitter" looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by