Is this a blood ring? Embryo's heartbeat is robust

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 20, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Is this a blood ring? I can definitely see a steady heartbeat where the arrow is pointing. I'm just wondering if the bloody blob in the 4:00 o'clock position is a bad sign? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    No, this is not a blood ring. A blood ring is a fine ring that goes around the center of the egg. You will not see a heartbeat and blood ring at the same time because a blood ring indicates death. It looks like that is an area where bacteria has entered the eggs and formed these "splotches"! Hope I could help! PM me for with any questions you may have!

3. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Oh no. :( Well on the 3rd day it received a bump/crack. The cracks were not very visible, but the end had a spidery crack. I immediately sealed with wax when this happened. Do they ever survive this?

4. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    yes, they can survive this! Keep us updated!

5. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you. :( I am beyond crushed that I caused this. I was so hopeful with wax seal would work, and I read about so many successful hatches. At least there's some hope. Still quite a ways to go with this bacteria brewing.I'll keep you posted.

What kills me is I carry handfuls of eggs all the time and don't crack one. Very unfortunate.

6. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    I hope your egg survives. But here is a picture of a blood ring in one of my own eggs, just for reference. This is day 8, no other veining or dark spots:

[​IMG]

7. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank. Can anyone give me an idea of chances for survival? Is it highly unlikely, or is the chance fairly good it could survive? So sad to see this all of the sudden.

8. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Actually, if it is bacteria, it may not have the greatest possibility of hatching but there is always a chance! Sending good vibes your way!

9. turkey lover

turkey lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    how do eggs get Bactria in side it,what causes Bactria

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  10. wondertwinpower

wondertwinpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Did it hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by