Is this a blood ring? (Incubation Day 6)

jcamacho

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
NW Arkansas
Hello,

I am completely new to this site and very new to incubating chicken eggs. I made my very own incubator, and before anyone says anything about "why are you wasting time making one when you can just buy one? etc..." some people just like to build things and have the free time to do it. I made mine out of cardboard and reinforced it as best as I could and let it sit for 3 days to make sure I could keep a regulated temp and managed to keep a temp between 99-100, and my Humidity is within the 23-25% range. I created a forced air incubator, and am trying a dry incubation method. (Hence the low humidity) The dimensions are 14"L 19"H 19"W. I put in a dozen eggs and of the dozen, 9 are fertile. Candled them all and all have vessels and the tiny dot inside is moving.

Now, on to my question. I noticed two of my white eggs (I have brown and white eggs in the incubator) have what appears to be a ring, but am not sure if this is a blood ring or just a vessel? I made my own candler too (I know, they're cheap, but I have so much stuff laying around that I can use to make one.) My reason for bringing this up, I make sure to set the egg on the candler and keep it as still as possible to make sure any movement I see isn't from me moving the egg around. I noticed the dot in both eggs is still pulsing and moving quite a lot. I've attached a photo of both eggs. Please feel free to ask me questions and give me suggestions! Some words of encouragement would be very nice too. I enjoy doing things like this in my free time and have really committed my time up until this point to make sure everything is working perfectly!

Thank you all! Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• tempImage0jVYig.png
    tempImage0jVYig.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • tempImagePBgBHS.png
    tempImagePBgBHS.png
    2 MB · Views: 33
Hello,

I am completely new to this site and very new to incubating chicken eggs. I made my very own incubator, and before anyone says anything about "why are you wasting time making one when you can just buy one? etc..." some people just like to build things and have the free time to do it. I made mine out of cardboard and reinforced it as best as I could and let it sit for 3 days to make sure I could keep a regulated temp and managed to keep a temp between 99-100, and my Humidity is within the 23-25% range. I created a forced air incubator, and am trying a dry incubation method. (Hence the low humidity) The dimensions are 14"L 19"H 19"W. I put in a dozen eggs and of the dozen, 9 are fertile. Candled them all and all have vessels and the tiny dot inside is moving.

Now, on to my question. I noticed two of my white eggs (I have brown and white eggs in the incubator) have what appears to be a ring, but am not sure if this is a blood ring or just a vessel? I made my own candler too (I know, they're cheap, but I have so much stuff laying around that I can use to make one.) My reason for bringing this up, I make sure to set the egg on the candler and keep it as still as possible to make sure any movement I see isn't from me moving the egg around. I noticed the dot in both eggs is still pulsing and moving quite a lot. I've attached a photo of both eggs. Please feel free to ask me questions and give me suggestions! Some words of encouragement would be very nice too. I enjoy doing things like this in my free time and have really committed my time up until this point to make sure everything is working perfectly!

Thank you all! Happy Holidays!
These eggs still have good veining and if you are seeing pulsating, then best to wait it out a few more days. Mark them as slightly suspect and recheck at 10 days incubation. If blood rings are developing, then it will be very clear by then.🙂
Example of a day 7 blood ring. I removed this one as it was pretty obvious.
I dry incubate as well and have had good results with this method.
Good luck with your hatch and Happy Holidays to you as well.😊
91178A95-8C85-4380-9D08-81EE7E08116E.jpeg

@jcamacho :frow Welcome from New Orleans. I think you have gotten good information. If they are still moving I would be tempted to leave them a little longer and seen if they continue to progress. It can't hurt anything to wait. I am sorry I have no advice about incubation, as I have always hatched using a broody hen. Good Luck, please keep us up dated as to how your incubation goes. Can't wait to see your new little fuzz balls.

Thank you all for your replies, tips, and advice!! I didn't expect such positive feedback! I candled them again today (I know I should've waited) and there was a lot more movement than yesterday. The pulsing kind. Which is a good sign. I'll leave them be and candle them again on day 14. I will definitely keep those interested, posted on my hatch journey! I'm very excited! Also, if anyone knows where I can get fertile eggs online, I'm open to suggestions! I live in Arkansas, and you'd figure I could very easily find someone with farm fresh, fertile eggs, but no luck. Atwoods, Tractor Supply, places like those don't carry them either apparently. The ones I'm currently incubating, I bought from a friend of my parents' who's got chickens, but he didn't seem too happy when we told him why I wanted them. Anyways, thank you all again! I'll Post day 14 photos! :)

Happy New Year to all! Stay safe!

If you are interested in Marans, look up. Cypress Duck Farm on the net, we have had great luck with him. He is here in Louisiana and is a very nice man. His name is Dan Barger, I will be calling him when I get a broody or 2 this spring. He ships and usually ships extra, just in case, his hatch rate is about 90%. I usually call then take a ride in the country and pick my fertile eggs up and he insists on giving me extra, even though once I drive off, it is no longer his responsibility. He also has chicks sometimes. His hens lay lovely, big brown eggs once they start laying.

Thank you all for your replies, tips, and advice!! I didn't expect such positive feedback! I candled them again today (I know I should've waited) and there was a lot more movement than yesterday. The pulsing kind. Which is a good sign. I'll leave them be and candle them again on day 14. I will definitely keep those interested, posted on my hatch journey! I'm very excited! Also, if anyone knows where I can get fertile eggs online, I'm open to suggestions! I live in Arkansas, and you'd figure I could very easily find someone with farm fresh, fertile eggs, but no luck. Atwoods, Tractor Supply, places like those don't carry them either apparently. The ones I'm currently incubating, I bought from a friend of my parents' who's got chickens, but he didn't seem too happy when we told him why I wanted them. Anyways, thank you all again! I'll Post day 14 photos! :)

Great news!😊
Curious why anyone would be unhappy about you wanting to hatch eggs.
What breeds are you currently incubating?
As far as getting more fertile eggs, you need to decide what breeds you want, then search for these breeds online. Best if you can find somewhere locally, or at least driving distance. Shipped eggs have very mixed success in hatching and require different conditions under incubation usually. Lots of info here on BYC about this as well.
Most chicken breeds have a Breed Club or Association that lists breeders, so you can find some in your area, or at least less of a trip for the eggs to get to you in the mail.
You can also post here on BYC under this forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-hatching-eggs.36/

Would you be interested in Cochin Bantams or mixes this spring? I also live in AR. I want to try my hand at shipping eggs. If you visit my flock thread you can see my chickens. I can give you eggs from flock 1 or 2. I will also give you a cheap price. Shipping wont be too bad if you are in AR.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/thecluckycluckers-flock-thread.1504527/

Yeah be sure to update us I’m glad there is movement!!😄 I’m from the UK but it would definitely be better if you could could get eggs from someone locally and collect them rather than the postal system. I’ve found that no matter how good the seller is and how well they are wrapped there always a bad few. However that’s just my experience and you might be fine. Good luck 😊😊

I prefer to pick up eggs, because my local postal system (in my neighborhood) is very poorly run. There are constantly complaints about stuff getting delivered really late, not at all and to the wrong address. Our neighborhood has taken to just delivering stuff delivered to our home that belongs to someone else, directly to the someone else's home. No amount of complaints has done any good. And it is the entire neighborhood. This year people have been delivered packages that have already been opened and resealed. Cameras show it is not porch pirates. The shame in part is this is a federal offense and no one here seems to care.

Back
Top Bottom