Is this a blood ring or a vein?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bahamabanty, Dec 4, 2013.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I have a shipped egg that I suspect has a blood ring, I am on day 12. Only thing is, the bloodring doesnt look like most bloodrings I see online or in pictures on this forum. I have brown eggs and candle with my nokia phone (..yeah I know..) I sketched what I saw because I wasnt able to take a picture. Do bloodrings sometimes lay "the other way" than in "egg-orbit?" The lines that seem to form a ring are quite thick and stop halfway in the air cell.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would go out and buy a better light- a small flashlight that is halogen. I am on day 8 with my eggs, one of mine looks like the egg on the right, but the embryo is still moving so I put it back. If I were you, I would do nothing with your eggs until you get a better light. at day 12 the egg should be getting pretty dark and hard to see in side.I would not mess with you eggs, candling too much can be bad, but I would candle on day 16 and the only thing you should see in your egg is the air cell, if you can see through the bottom, pointy end of the egg it is not viable.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I took a deep breath and I cracked it, it was a blood ring, nothing in there.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I looked at mine there was no fine veins or movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by