Is this a blood ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 24, 2009.

1. I candled my ducks eggs, on day 5, I couldn't wait to take a peek... I only have 5 eggs in my bator, three look completely clear with nothing going on but I know it's early so I'll let them sit awhile still.
    One has clear normal looking veins in spider-webby patterns. The other one, I thought was veins, but I'm not sure. It really only was one vein, in a circle. Like a red line in an uneven ring.
    Again, it's early so I guess it could still be veining, but I wonder if it's a blood ring... I guess what I'm asking is;
    From the get go, do the developing veins spread out in the tree branch or webby pattern or do they start as one vein and grow from there?

2. chickidydoodaa

chickidydoodaa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    form the way you explained it sounds like a blood ring, but i would wait for my eperienced people

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    It sounds like a blood ring to me, but I'm not a pro either. Anytime mine have ever had blood rings that's exactly what it looked like, a circle, from the blood pooling. That sucks anyways, but the other egg sounds like it's doing good.

4. Well yeah it sucks, but at least it meant that it was a fertile egg right? Like it started developing and then something happened?

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Ya if there is a blood ring, then there was definite development, but for some reason stopped.

6. How long should I keep it in the bator? At 5 days I want to be sure it is a blood ring and not chuck a fine egg.
    Should I candle again at 7 days and then chuck it if it looks the same?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As long as it doesn't start smelling I'd leave it in until day 10 and then candle again. By then you should be able to tell for sure if it's a blood ring or not.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:I agree with Katy. A few more days to be sure wont hurt.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I'm not the best to answer but it looks like a blood ring to me. Sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by