1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a blood ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peppermint, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

These are duck eggs on day 5. The other 7 eggs were clear. Should I toss it or put it back in the bator?

Thank you!

2. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I am no where close to an expert but it does not look dark enough to be a blood ring. "To me" it looks like normal veining... Perhaps, someone with a bit more experience could help...good luck.

3. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    I thinks its veining... What does it look like if you rotate it to the left? It should have a dark spot sort of in the center. should kinda look like a spider.

4. sophiajw23

sophiajw23 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Northern California
    Blood rings are very dark and obvious once you have one.

5. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I had blood rings in my first set and they didnt look like that. they floated when I moved the egg and it looked like you had took a red sharpie and drew a line on the inside of the egg really dark like almost burgandy!! hope I was some help!![​IMG]

6. Peppermint

Oh jeez. I pulled all the duck eggs out...and now I'm frantically putting them back!

7. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I did that to!!! just leave them in there and dont touch them if you have a turner!! thats what I found best to do I closed the lid and forbade myself to open it unless I was putting in the water!!! Im sure they will be fine!!!

8. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    If you turn the egg around, do you see more of these lines? Do you see a small blob in the middle of them? Those do look like veins to me, or at least the beginning of a system of blood vessels, but it's hard to see from the picture. It could theoretically be very early death, manifesting in a lightly coloured, thin blood ring. But at day five I imagine you would see something akin to this in your eggs, if you can see that blog or more of these lines.

9. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    It looks like veins to me too. I've gotten pretty good at picking out the blood rings. I've been right on every one I've taken out and cracked open. The blood rings are much darker than that and will go in a complete circle around the egg (In my experience..which isn't much but I'm learning!) Best of luck! [​IMG]

10. Peppermint

During the candling, the red line was in a total circle around the top of the egg, which is why I thought it was a blood ring! The chicken eggs I have in the bator had SUCH clear veining, there was no doubt who was clear and who had development. If this duck egg actually keeps going I'll be thrilled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by